Weekend at the Cottage Recipes – Flaky Tea Biscuits
A tried and true recipe that you’ll make again and again. Serve these biscuits with clotted cream and jam, as a side with soups and stews or as a sandwich base.
•2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
•1 tablespoon granulated sugar
•1 tablespoon baking powder
•½ teaspoon baking soda
•8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter
• ½ cup yogurt
•1/3 cup whole milk
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Stir flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda together, then sift together into a large bowl.
3. Drop chunks of butter into the dry ingredients. Rub or cut the butter into the dry mix to create a fine meal.
4. Whisk yogurt and milk together then add to the meal mixture. Stir together, then bring together by hand to create a light dough.
5. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for 1 minute.
6. Roll to a rectangular shape about 1-inch thick, then fold into thirds. Roll out again to a large rectangular shape, rotate 180° degrees, fold and repeat. Repeat this process 5 more times.
7. Cut out biscuits using a 2-inch cookie cutter, transferring them onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Gather scraps and repeat until all of the dough is used to create 12 biscuits.
8. Transfer to oven and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
9. Remove from oven and serve with butter and jam or a favourite spread / filling.