Weekend at the Cottage Recipes
CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI LOAF
A rich, chocolatey cake batter stirred with grated zucchini and semisweet chocolate chips.
• 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
•½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
•1 teaspoon baking soda
•1 teaspoon kosher salt
•4 tablespoons butter (¼ cup)
•4 tablespoons coconut oil (¼ cup)
•¾ cup golden yellow sugar, firmly packed
•1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
•2 eggs, room temperature
•1 medium zucchini, grated (about 2 cups)
•1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
•non-stick cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray and line middle with a strip of parchment paper.
2. Whisk the dry ingredients together and set aside.
3. Melt butter and coconut oil and stir together. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
4. Shred zucchini using a box grater or food processor.
5. Place cooled butter-oil mixture in a large bowl. Add sugar plus vanilla and stir until sugar is dissolved. Add eggs one at a time, stirring to combine after the addition of each.
6. Pour the dry mix in with the wet and combine, using a wooden spoon or spatula. Fold in the zucchini and almost all of the chocolate chips; reserve a few tablespoons to the side.
7. Transfer the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing it out evenly. Sprinkle the top with the remaining chocolate chips.
8. Transfer to the oven and bake for 45 – 50 minutes, or until a cake tester or toothpick comes away clean.
9. Remove from oven and place pan on a wire rack to cool for 15 minutes. Lift loaf from pan and place it directly onto the rack to cool for an additional 30 minutes.