HOT BROWN TURKEY SANDWICH
Turkey and tomato on slices of toasted bread, topped with an aged cheddar cheese sauce and sprinkle of crispy bacon.
•½-¾ pound leftover turkey, sliced
•4 slices bread
•1 tablespoon butter
•4-8 tomato slices
•8 strips of bacon, used as garnish
•¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
•For the cheddar Mornay sauce:
•2 tablespoons butter
•¼ small white onion, finely diced
•2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
•1½ cups whole milk, scalded
•pinch black pepper
•pinch cayenne pepper
•1 tablespoon dry sherry
•½ cup grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese
•sprinkle chopped parsley
•chopped crispy bacon
•serve with WATC BBQ Sauce
1. Cook bacon: Preheat oven to 425°F. Place bacon onto a foil-lined baking sheet, transfer to oven and cook until
crispy, about 10 minutes. Remove bacon to paper towel-lined plate and pat with additional paper towel to
remove excess fat. When cool to the touch, chop and reserve to the side with the chopped parsley.
2. Toast bread: With rack in the middle position, turn oven setting to broil. Place slices of bread onto a parchment
lined baking sheet. Transfer to oven and toast. Remove from oven and lightly butter each slice.
3. Prepare Mornay sauce: Scald milk in a small saucepan. Melt butter in a second medium saucepan over low
heat. Add onions to butter, stir and cook for 2 minutes or until onions are soft and translucent. Sprinkle with
flour and stir, cooking for 2 minutes more. Slowly add the hot milk in a steady stream, whisking as the sauce
thickens, about 2 minutes. Add salt and peppers. Pass sauce through a fine sieve into a medium sized bowl.
Add sherry and cheese and stir until cheese melts and the sauce is smooth.
4. Assemble sandwiches: Warm turkey in a skillet seasoned with pan juices or a knob of butter. With buttered,
toasted bread already on baking sheet, add slices and morsels of turkey plus a few slices of tomato on
each. Ladle the Mornay sauce over each sandwich, covering the turkey, tomato and bread. Sprinkle the top
of each sandwich with Parmesan. Immediately transfer to the oven and broil until the sauce bubbles and the
tops turn a light golden brown colour.
5. Garnish and serve: Transfer 1 sandwich each to luncheon plates and garnish with a sprinkle of the chopped bacon and parsley. Serve with WATC BBQ Sauce.