Classic crunchy biscotti with toasted hazelnuts, shards of dark chocolate and a hint of orange. Perfect for the holidays. Go to www.weekendatthecottage.com for the recipe and video.
• 1 cup hazelnuts
• 1 cup semisweet dark chocolate chunks
• 3 eggs
• 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
• 2 tablespoons orange zest (about 1 orange)
• 1 cup dark brown sugar
• 1 ¾ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
• 1/3 cup cocoa powder
• 1 tablespoon ground coffee, finely ground
• 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
• ½ teaspoon baking soda
• ½ teaspoon kosher salt
• 1 egg white, lightly beaten
• sprinkle sanding sugar
1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
2. Toast hazelnuts: Spread on parchment-lined baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. If using nuts with skins, remove from oven and wrap in a clean dishtowel. Leave for 5 minutes then rub hazelnuts in dishtowel to remove skins. Cool then roughly chop.
3. Prepare dough: Combine flour, cocoa powder, coffee, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a bowl. Pass through a sieve to thoroughly blend. Set aside.
4. Roughly chop chocolate chunks into shards.
5. Lightly beat eggs in stand mixer with paddle attachment, then add vanilla extract and orange zest. On low, add the brown sugar. Add flour mixture little by little.
6. When the dough begins to take shape, add the chocolate and hazelnuts and run until a sticky dough forms.