A rich, baked custard with plums tossed with orange zest, coriander and vanilla sugar.
• 6 damson plums, washed and sliced
• zest from 1 navel orange, (1 tablespoon)
• ¼ teaspoon of ground coriander
• 1 packet of vanilla sugar
• butter for dish, 1 teaspoon
For the filling:
• 3 extra-large eggs, room temperature
• ½ cup of unbleached all-purpose flour
• ½ cup of granulated sugar
• ¼ teaspoon of salt
• 1 cup of whole milk
• ¼ cup of 10% cream
• 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
• icing sugar for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 9-inch ovenproof circular baking dish. Set aside.
2. Cut plums in half. Remove and discard the stones before slicing them. Place plums into a medium-sized bowl and toss with orange zest, coriander and vanilla sugar. Set aside.
3. Add all of the ingredients for the filling into a large measuring cup and blend using a hand mixer on low setting until smooth.
4. Place ovenproof dish onto a baking sheet. Pour in a small amount of the filling, about ¼-inch up. Transfer to oven and bake for 10 minutes or until a thin film forms on the bottom of the dish. Remove from oven and use a small spoon to gently add the plum mixture into the dish, arranging the plums attractively in a single layer. Gently pour in the remaining custard mixture. Return the clafoutis to the oven and bake for an additional 45 minutes, or until the centre is set and no longer jiggles.
5. Cool clafoutis for about 15 minutes before dusting with icing sugar and serving.
Visit www.weekendatthecottage.com for more great recipes