This cheesy, creamy potato side dish is always a hit.
Head to www.weekendatthecottage.com for the video and recipe tips.
• 2 tablespoons butter
•½ white onion, diced
•2 garlic cloves, chopped
•1 bag frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
•1 10 ounce can cream of mushroom soup
•1 cup sour cream
•¼ cup Parmesan, grated
•1 teaspoon salt
•½ teaspoon black pepper
•¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
•1 ¾ cups grated cheese (cheddar cheese, Swiss, Gruyère, etc.)
For the topping:
•¼ cup grated cheese
•4 tablespoons butter
•1 cup Panko bread crumbs
•3 green onions, finely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Melt butter in small skillet over moderate heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook until soft and fragrant. Remove from heat and cool.
3. Place hash browns, soup, sour cream, onion and garlic mix, salt, black and cayenne peppers, Parmesan and grated cheese into a medium-sized bowl. Stir to combine.
4. Transfer to a 9 x 13-inch glass casserole or oven-safe baking dish and smooth out to an even layer. Sprinkle with ¼ cup of grated cheese.
5. Prepare topping: Place Panko in a small bowl. Melt butter and drizzle over top. Toss to combine.
6. Sprinkle Panko over dish. Transfer to oven and bake for 50 minutes or until bubbling and golden on top. Sprinkle with finely chopped green onions.