There is a lot of interest right now regarding intermittent fasting (IF). IF is an eating pattern where you cycle between periods of fasting and eating. The most common interval is a 16-hour fast and an 8-hour eating window, known as 16/8. Since most people fast every night while they sleep it is common for people to skip breakfast and extend their fast. For example, start eating around 12pm and finish eating by 8 pm. Another form is to fast for 24 hours 2 times per week. We incorporate intermittent fasting with our Thin and Healthy weight loss programs as this form of eating provides many beneficial factors for healthy living and weight loss.
What are the benefits of IF?
• Weight loss.
• More energy: change in hormones can increase metabolic rate.
• Increase in Human Growth Hormone: as much as 5-fold, which results in fat loss and muscle gain.
• Decreased insulin: makes stored body fat more accessible.
• Disease prevention: there is a change in the function of genes related to longevity and protection against disease. Reduction in inflammation markers which is a common underlying reason for most chronic diseases.
• Cellular Repair: is initiated when fasting.
• Increase in the release of the fat burning protein Norepinephrine.
• Decreased risk factors in heart disease: lowers LDL, TG, Blood Sugars, inflammation and insulin resistance.
• This can also simplify your life as you are preparing, cooking and cleaning up fewer meals.
During the fasting period you can consume water, coffee, non caloric drinks, supplements (fat soluble vitamins should be taken with food to help with absorption) and medications but NO FOOD or SUGAR is allowed.
What are the side effects of IF?
The main one is hunger. You may also feel weak and your brain may feel a bit foggy. This is usually only temporary as it takes time for your body to adapt to the new meal schedule.
Who shouldn’t fast?
If you are a young child, underweight or have a history of an eating disorder you should not fast; women trying to conceive, who are pregnant or breast feeding should also not fast. If you have any medical conditions you should consult your health practitioner before trying IF to make sure it is safe for you.
If you are interested in more information about the Thin and Healthy weight loss program or our Keto version you can call 705-742-0213.
If you have any topic ideas for the next editorial please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.